Southwest Texas State Normal School
Southwest Texas State Normal School was established in 1903. The name was changed in 1918 to Southwest Texas State Normal College, in 1923 to Southwest Texas State Teachers College, in 1959 to Southwest Texas State College, in 1969 to Southwest Texas State University, and in 2003 to Texas State University-San Marcos.
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
This collection consists primarily of commencement programs. With a small amount of additional materials and recordings. Texas State University was established by the 26th Legislature in 1899 as the Southwest Texas State Normal School; 313 pupils were enrolled in 1903-04, the first year classes were held.
This collection includes drafts of the House Bill 696 of the 26th Regular Session of the Texas Legislature (1899), which founded the normal school in San Marcos, Texas that is now Texas State University. It also includes copies of consitutional documents from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
This collection consists of fifty-nine oral history interviews conducted by Dr. Emmie Craddock and her students as part of her graduate seminar. Topic vary widely and pertain to the local and regional history of San Marcos and the surrounding area, families and genealogy as well as experiences working or attending the at the university.
Collection contains handwritten and printed documents associated with the members and activities of the German club at Southwest Texas State Normal School from 1912 to 1918. Until its disappearance in 1919 it was one of the most active associations on campus.
Helen Hornsby was one of the first 17 faculty at Southwest Texas State Normal School, teaching from 1903 to 1919. Collection includes materials owned and collected by Helen Hornsby Crawford and her family. Includes topics related to the university, such as Lyndon Johnson, the inauguration of Robert Hardesty, homecoming, and the 50th reunion of the SWT class of 1949.
This collection contains two student notebooks completed for Southwest Texas State Normal School home economics courses. The notebooks consist primarily of handwritten notes, printed lessons and diagrams, as well as the samples of textiles, practice stitches and seams.
This collection is comprised of research material compiled by Dr. Ronald Brown while writing books on the history of Texas State University. Material includes correspondence, research files and notes, drafts, project file and copy photographs from the University News Service of images used in the publications.
Thomas G. Harris was the first Principal of the Southwest Texas Normal School, which opened in 1903. The collection mainly consists of correspondence written to Harris concerning school related matters, with a small amount of printed materials.
Collection of certificates and diplomas from Texas State University alumni.