Skip to main content

German club records

 Collection
Identifier: 42.300-German Club

Scope and Contents

This collection contains handwritten and printed documents associated with the members and activities of the German club at Southwest Texas State Normal School from 1912 to 1918. These records belonged to Dr. Alfred Nolle, a professor of German and Dean at Southwest Texas State Teachers College.

Dates

  • 1912-1918

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. University Archives owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies.

Historical note

The German club, Germanistiche Gesellschaft, was organized in 1908 with Helen Hornsby as the faculty leader. The purpose of the club was to encourage students to appreciate German art and culture through social meetings, songs, and performances. Until its disappearance in 1919 it was one of the most active associations on campus. As its membership lists indicate, it attracted many of the German-Americans attending SWT. According to its 1908 statement of purpose, the club stood "for the cultivation of a deeper feeling of sympathy among the students of German, and a truer appreciation and broader knowledge of German life, history, literature and music." Membership in the organization depended upon a student's meeting one of its three criteria: the ability to sing the initiation song, the ability to sing and speak German or the courage and determination to study the language.

Source: Beacon on the Hill: Southwest Texas State University, 1903-1978 by Ronald C. Brown.

Extent

.21 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Collection contains handwritten and printed documents associated with the members and activities of the German club at Southwest Texas State Normal School from 1912 to 1918. Until its disappearance in 1919 it was one of the most active associations on campus.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site. Advance notice may be required for use.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated to special collections by Dr. Louis E. Brister, 1998 May 11.

Related Materials

See 11.200.Commencement Programs 1908-1916 for German Club plays presented as part of the commencement ceremonies.
See also Alfred H. Nolle papers (90.200.Faculty.1980.Nolle) for more papers related to German language instruction.

Separated Materials

Commencement programs dated 1908-1916 were moved to 11.200.Commencement.
Annoucement of the SWT State Normal School 1908-1909 was moved to course catalogs

Title
German club records
Status
Completed
Author
Zoe Heinsohn
Date
2019 June 26
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • 2021 May: Brought up to DACS compliance, Nicole Critchley

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives, Texas State University Repository

Contact:
Alkek Library Room 580
601 University Drive
San Marcos Texas 78666 USA