Southwest Texas State Teachers College
Southwest Texas State Normal School was established in 1903. The name was changed in 1918 to Southwest Texas State Normal College, in 1923 to Southwest Texas State Teachers College, in 1959 to Southwest Texas State College, in 1969 to Southwest Texas State University, and in 2003 to Texas State University-San Marcos.
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
This collection ties together the many different types of budget and financial reports Texas State University produces. Materials include recommended budgets, operating budgets, salary reports, financial reports mandated by the State of Texas.
This collection consists primarily of commencement programs. With a small amount of additional materials and recordings. Texas State University was established by the 26th Legislature in 1899 as the Southwest Texas State Normal School; 313 pupils were enrolled in 1903-04, the first year classes were held.
Helen Hornsby was one of the first 17 faculty at Southwest Texas State Normal School, teaching from 1903 to 1919. Collection includes materials owned and collected by Helen Hornsby Crawford and her family. Includes topics related to the university, such as Lyndon Johnson, the inauguration of Robert Hardesty, homecoming, and the 50th reunion of the SWT class of 1949.
John Garland Flowers became the third president of Southwest Texas State Teachers College in 1942; he held this position for twenty-two years until his retirement in August 1964. The Flowers papers document his professional activities during the years of his presidency, including topics related to his administrative duties as a college president and his leadership role in education at both state and national levels.
Collection of memorabilia related to Oscar Strahan and his lengthy athletic career at Southwest Texas State University.
Oscar Strahan served as the first professional coach and first Athletic Director for Southwest Texas State (now Texas State University) from 1919 to 1961. Largely photographs, the collection contains noteworthy images of early Southwest Texas State Normal College sports teams, World War I training camp Camp Logan, and mass produced battlefield views from France. Also includes Strahan’s family history materials.
This collection is comprised of research material compiled by Dr. Ronald Brown while writing books on the history of Texas State University. Material includes correspondence, research files and notes, drafts, project file and copy photographs from the University News Service of images used in the publications.
Materials compiled largely by the University News Service on the various beauty pageants that were held from the 1950s to the mid-1970s at Texas State University. Pageants often were held in conjunction with campus events such as homecoming. Included are photographs of contestants, a calendar, event programs, press releases, news clippings, and administrative records.
Materials compiled by Susan Houston Reid about Leonard “Deacon” Wright’s firing from Southwest Texas State Teachers College (now Texas State University) in 1954 and the controversy surrounding it.
Collection documents the history of the defunct University Museum of Art and History. Materials include correspondence, accession records books, newspaper clippings, photographs, artifacts, and financial records. The University Museum of Art and History opened in 1937 and closed in 1965 after the State Legislature cut off funding for the maintenance and upkeep.