Skip to main content

Fighting Stallions statue collection

 Series
Identifier: 2017-001

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of correspondence, news clippings, and photographs of the statue. Correspondence is primarily of letters between Archer Huntington and President Flowers, dated 1951-1953. There are articles and press releases relating to the original installation of the statue as well as its relocation in 1981. Also includes photos of the original base installation as well as images of the statue in its current location by Derrick Hall. Materials are arranged by type.

Dates

  • 1951-1995

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply. University Archives owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish from copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies.

Historical note

Anna Hyatt Huntington was an American sculptor, born in 1876, is recognized as one of America's finest sculptors. She began sculpting animals on a small scale and by the 1910s her career was flourishing. While women sculptors in her time were expected to create small works, she became known for her large scale works and for her skill in depicting horses. She completed her last large-scale sculpture at the age of 81, and died in 1973 at the age of 97.

The aluminum statue titled "Fighting Stallions" was a gift to Southwest Texas State College by Anna Hyatt Huntington and her husband, Archer Milton Huntington. Received in San Marcos in 1951, the sculpture was installed on a custom base and dedicated during Homecoming 1952. Originally located on the Quad between Evans Academic Center and the Fine Arts Building (now Taylor-Murphy), it was placed into temporary storage during renovation of the student mall and moved to its current location in 1981.

Extent

0.20 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection consists of correspondence, photographs, press releases, and news clipping about Fighting Stallions statue.

Physical Location

Materials may be stored off-site. Advance notice may be required for use.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This file was transferred the University Archives by the News Service. Correspondence in the 1950s and 1960s was created in the President's Office; items created and collected in the 1980s were added by the News Service.

Related Materials

Other images of the Huntington Fighting Stallions are available in the University Archives. See the University photographic negative collection, Pedagog and Press Club photographic negative collection.

Information about how the Stallions came to Texas State is presented in the University Archives digital exhibition titled The Story of the Stallions. This exhibition features many of the documents and photographs from this group of records.

The Stallions are also referenced in the University Archives digital exhibition Buck Winn: Lone Star Regionalist.

Title
Fighting Stallions statue collection
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • August 2019, June 2021: ArchivesSpace migration revisions by Eric Robertson-Gordon and Nicole Critchley

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
Alkek Library Room 580
601 University Drive
San Marcos Texas 78666 USA