Southwest Texas State University
- Usage: 1969 - 2003
Texas State University was established by the 26th Legislature in 1899 as the Southwest Texas State Normal School; 313 pupils were enrolled in 1903-04, the first year classes were held. The school name changed to Southwest Texas State Normal College in 1918, to Southwest Texas State Teachers College in 1925, to Southwest Texas State College in 1959, to Southwest Texas State University in 1969, to Texas State University-San Marcos in 2003, and to Texas State University in 2013.
Found in 34 Collections and/or Records:
This collection consists primarily of commencement programs. With a small amount of additional materials and recordings. Texas State University was established by the 26th Legislature in 1899 as the Southwest Texas State Normal School; 313 pupils were enrolled in 1903-04, the first year classes were held.
This collection consists of fifty-nine oral history interviews conducted by Dr. Emmie Craddock and her students as part of her graduate seminar. Topic vary widely and pertain to the local and regional history of San Marcos and the surrounding area, families and genealogy as well as experiences working or attending the at the university.
This collection contains materials related to Dr. Flemming' personal and professional history in stage set production and theater arts instruction at Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State University).
Nine oral history interviews conducted in 1991 with faculty members who had experience with the Department of History at Texas State University. The interviewees give accounts of curriculum changes, the University administration and the Department of History.
This collection contains scrapbooks and other materials related to Falls Halls and the decommissioning of the building. Falls Hall was a dormitory from 1966 to 2011 when it was demolished to make room for the Performing Arts Center.
Collection with materials related to multiple anniversaries of the signing of the Higher Education Act, which was signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson at Southwest Texas State College (now Texas State University).
This collection documents the work done by University administration following the 2003 legislation that changed the name from Southwest Texas State University to Texas State University-San Marcos.
Dr. Jerome Supple was Southwest Texas State University’s (now Texas State University) eighth president from 1989-2002. Collection largely consists of awards and artifacts, with a small amount of personal papers, photographs, and collected clippings.
The collection was primarily created and compiled by the University News and Information Service and the Office of Media Relations and Publications. Materials include planning materials for the presidential selection and Supple’s installation, media coverage of events, Supple’s cancer diagnosis and research, and items related to his legacy including photographs.
Collection of periodicals consists of reports published by the Office of Institutional Research and later Enrollment Management. They provide statistical data about the university, including enrollment by college, gender, and ethnicity. Some years also include data about faculty, staff, finance, and facilities.
This unprocessed collection consists of research, statistics and reports related to SACS review and accreditation process.
Speeches and remarks given by the University President at a wide variety of events. Also includes some speeches and remarks by other University personnel who spoke at those events.
This collection consists of historical band uniforms, consisting primarily of shirts but including a few pants from the later half of the 20th century. All uniforms show signs of wear, including small stains, tears, and missing buttons. Some uniforms are missing pants and decorative elements such as epaulets, sashes.
Administrative reports from the President of Southwest Texas State University (presently Texas State University) to the university system's Board of Regents. After 1993, the President’s Reports merged into Board of Regents meeting agendas.
This collection includes legal records pertaining to the case former University President Robert L. Hardesty and Mary R. Hardesty against the Board of Regents of Texas State University System after his sudden and controversial dismissal. The case led to a $1.1 million dollar settlement for Mr. Hardesty.
The Southwest Texas State University Rodeo Association was a nonprofit student organization active from the mid-1950s to the late 1990s. This collection includes ephemera and promotional materials, as well as administrative records. Noteworthy are architectural drawings and records related to the project to build a rodeo arena structure at the Freeman Ranch.
This collection is comprised of research material compiled by Dr. Ronald Brown while writing books on the history of Texas State University. Material includes correspondence, research files and notes, drafts, project file and copy photographs from the University News Service of images used in the publications.
Published every other year, the employee and staff handbooks are designed to acquaint employees with a general overview of the policies, procedures, and benefits of Texas State University. Some issues include addenda. Items are arranged chronologically.