Neal Barrett, Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
The Neal Barrett, Jr. Papers span 1941 to 1992, the bulk of the material dating from 1973 to 1992. It is divided into two series: Works and Biography/Criticism. The first series contains research notes, manuscript drafts, correspondence with editors, and articles. The second series contains photographs, reviews, interviews and personal effects chronicling Barrett's writing career.
- Majority of material found within 1973-1992
- Barrett, Neal, Jr., 1929-2014 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials from the Wittliff Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user assumes responsibility for determining copyright status, obtaining permission to publish, and abiding by U.S. copyright laws. https://www.thewittliffcollections.txstate.edu/research/visit/policies/publication.html
Neal Barrett, Jr. is a fourth generation Texan born in San Antonio in 1929. He was raised in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and acquired a degree from the University of Oklahoma's Professional Writers' School. Barrett began as a corporate writer in public relations but turned freelance when his works began to sell. A prolific writer of science fiction, Barrett has also written westerns, boys' adventure stories and historical novels. His short stories have appeared in major magazines such as Omni, Galaxy and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. Barrett has also written under other names including: Victor Appleton, Chad Calhoun, Clay Dawson, Franklin W. Dixon, Rebecca Drury, Wesley Ellis, and J.D. Hardin.
1.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Metadata Rights Declarations
- The descriptive data created for this finding aid is licensed under the CC0 Creative Commons license and is free for use without restriction.
This collection documents the writing career of Neal Barrett, Jr.
Materials may be stored off-site. Advance notice is required for use: https://www.thewittliffcollections.txstate.edu/research/makearesearchappointment.html.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Neal Barrett, Jr., 1992.
- Guide to the Neal Barrett, Jr. Papers
- Gwynedd Cannan
- December 1992
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.
- 1996: Updated
- 2004: Finding aid revised as part of the Wittliff's Collection Numbering Project
- 2021: Revised for ArchivesSpace by Susannah Broyles.