26th Legislature SB260, 1899
Scope and Contents
As a state agency, the University does not have a constitution or by-laws. The institution was founded in 1899 by the 26th Legislature with SB260. The original 11 acres of land upon which the school was built was formerly known as Chautauqua Hill. The University Archives requested copies of these materials from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Materials also include one complete and one incomplete draft of House Bill 696 of the 26th Regular Session of the Texas Legislature (1899), “An Act to provide for establishing, governing and maintaining a State normal school at San Marcos, and to be known as the Southwest Texas Normal School.” Also included is the wrapper used to store and identify the bill drafts. Although the records are undated, the wrapper was pre-printed for the 26th Regular Session with the date 1899.
- From the Collection: Cocke, Frederick Bird Smith, 1839-1912 (Person)
- From the Collection: Texas. Legislature. House of Representatives (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restriction.
From the Collection: 1.33 Linear Feet (One half sized Hollinger box and one oversized flat box (13.5 x 18.5) )
From the Collection: 9.78 Megabytes
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Digital copy of SB260, the law that established the normal school in San Marcos.